Feeling good starts from within so what better way to start the day than with a fantastic green smoothie!
Using a thermomix or vitamix or any of those awesome fruit vitimizer machines that are everywhere at the moment, you can blitz your whole fruit, not wasting a drop of the precious fibre or goodness.
Green smoothies are generally dairy free, instead using creamy fruits such as papaya, banana or mango. I usually freeze these first for extra creaminess. Then you add a cup or 2 of green leafy stuff such as spinach or kale. And a handful of ice as you really need ice to break down the fibres in the leafy greens. We all know kale as the new superfood of the moment, but for good reason. Kale is full of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants. Leafy greens also contain this thing called phytonutrients which can help to increase your overall health and longevity by boosting your immune system! Did you know 1 cup of kale contains as much iron as a piece of steak!
The sky is the limit for what you can add. For a filling weight loss smoothie you can add some protein and healthy fats such as a handful of cashews, or some chia seeds and psyllium husk. You can also use avocado, hemp powder, cacao, acai or almond butter too.
Here are some of my current go-to healthy green smoothie recipes for weight loss and feeling good!
- Energiser – handful of kale, pears, coconut water and ice
- Immune booster – watermelon, mint, honey, lemon, ginger, coconut water, ice
- Tropical – frozen banana, pineapple, papaya, kale, coconut water, chia seeds, ice
- Refreshing – lime, mint, watermelon, kale, spinach, pear, ice
- Breakfast – frozen mango, frozen banana, avocado, chia seeds, almond milk
- Post workout – kale, spinach, coconut milk, orange juice, banana
Just throw it all in the thermomix (or whatever you are using) and away you go. Any leftover smoothie mix goes into the freezer to make ice blocks for the kids!
A green smoothie a day keeps the doctor away!
Please comment below with your favourite green smoothie recipe!